Ottawa Rent Bank: City of Ottawa
Community & Social Services Department
Social Services Operations
Application line: 613-560-6000
Address: 100 Constellation Crescent, Ottawa, ON K2G 5J9
View Larger MapDescription of Services:
The Provincial Rent Bank is funded by the Province of Ontario and administered by municipalities. Under this program, low-income residents who need assistance with rental arrears can apply to the Ottawa Rent Bank to receive financial assistance. If a tenant’s application is approved, rent arrears are paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant.
To qualify for the Ottawa Rent Bank, you must:
- Live in the City of Ottawa
- Have status in Canada, i.e. a citizen, permanent resident or refugee claimant
- Be a tenant paying market rent (not a homeowner)
- Have rental arrears in your current residence
- Have sustainable housing
- Landlord has agreed not to evict if arrears are paid
You are not eligible for the Ottawa Rent Bank if you:
- Have received help from the Rent Bank in the last two years
- Are receiving Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (social assistance recipients will be assessed by their case worker for help with rental arrears through other benefits)
Call the City of Ottawa Application Screening Unit (ASU) at 613-560-6000 to make an application over the phone. The ASU will screen your call and schedule an appointment at the appropriate Social Services Centre.
The Ottawa Rent Bank cannot provide more than two times the Average Market Rent (AMR) for the City of Ottawa as set out by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. If your arrears exceed this amount, you may be assessed for other benefits through social services.