Contact: Kerri Boyd
Address: 540 George Street, Peterborough, ON
View Larger Map
About the agency:
- During 1999-2000, a community homelessness task force identified
an Emergency Fund as a community priority.
- Community consultations were held to develop funding priorities and eligibility criteria for the existing fund
- Community plan was developed for SCPI.
- Emergency fund was also a priority out of this plan.
- Funding for SCPI ended in 2002.
Rent Bank loans are provided for:
- individual or families should prove that all other means of assistance have fully exhausted before applying for emergency assistance funds
- funds granted under this program are charitable in nature and therefore are not deducted from recipients
- maximum levels of assistance may vary according to the availability of funds
- assistance is only given to applicants once per year
- applications for assistance that exceed the annual limits are approved by the Case Coordination Committee
- the fund is designed to assist low-income tenants.
- homeowners and those with incomes above the limits (1998 Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-offs) may apply. Funds granted in these cases are considered as a loan, and repayment terms are established
- applicants may be asked to submit partial payment to the HRC before amounts from the funds are granted
- applicants in receipt of OW or ODSP are required to contact their worker to apply for discretionary or mandatory benefits before emergency funds are granted
- assistance provided is by voucher or made payable to the housing or service provider. Cash is never given to the applicants.
Rental arrears, First & or Last, Utilities,Emergency medication, Accommodation, transportation and food
Accepting applications from:
Social assistance recipients, Self-employed individuals, Refugee claimant
Maximum loan provided:
$250 (recently changed from $400 due to decrease in funding)
View Larger Map